We report against reduction targets for NEXT Retail Ltd in the UK and Ireland from a baseline year of 2007 and in place until the end of our 2015 financial year.
- Target: Electricity consumption – 35% reduction in kg CO2e/m2
- Progress: 3% reduction compared to last year, and 30% reduction achieved to date
We manage emissions through our energy efficiency programmes and install building management systems as we open new stores and now have 512 stores with this system in operation. As well as providing increased visibility of our consumption, the system also automatically manages some key store functions around lighting and air conditioning in addition to identifying any faults or malfunctions in store.
During the year we have continued to install energy efficient LED lighting in our stores which consumes less energy and creates less heat in store and so our air conditioning requirements are reduced too.
- Target: To send less than 5% of operational waste to landfill
- Progress: 91% of operational waste diverted from landfill (excluding head office waste)
Our in-house recycling centre receives materials for recycling from around 400 of our stores such as cardboard, plastic, returned carrier bags, Directory packaging and broken clothes hangers. Once received they are segregated and baled before being sent for recycling.
- Target: Retail Distribution – 10% reduction in litres of fuel used/m2
- Progress: Target achieved in 2012 with 16% reduction
Our priority is to use our vehicles as efficiently as possible to deliver products and help to reduce transport related emissions. We use double deck trailers where possible as this helps to reduce the number of vehicle deliveries required. We use computerised planning for vehicle journeys as well as utilising empty space on returning vehicles by consolidating loads, returning Directory customer returns and back hauling materials to our recycling centre. In addition we have continued to develop our driver training programme to help improve driver style and fuel efficiency.