Key financial information
Results for the Half Year Ending July 2016
In March we predicted a challenging year and this is reflected in our first half results. Although total NEXT Brand sales were +3.0% ahead of last year, full price sales were down -0.3% on a comparable week* basis. Directory has performed significantly better than Retail mainly as a result of improved stock availability, enhanced website functionality and continued growth from LABEL and overseas. Profit before tax was down -1.5%. Underlying Earnings per Share (EPS) were up +0.8%, boosted by the effect of share buybacks.
We are declaring an ordinary interim dividend of 53p per share, which is in line with last year.
Financial highlights for the half year are as follows:
- Total Group sales £1,957m, up +2.6%
- Profit before tax £342m, down -1.5%
- Earnings Per Share 188.6p, up +0.8%
- Ordinary interim dividend 53p, level on last year
* Last year was a 53-week year, which meant that this year started one week later than last year.
To view our ten year history click here.