NEXT recognises it has a responsibility and an obligation to work to reduce the direct impact of its business operations on the natural environment, both now and in the future. Reducing emissions is the right thing for a responsible business to do, and our aim is to work to create more sustainable ways of doing business to conserve energy, save money and help to deliver better resource efficiency. Our priority is minimise our environmental impacts by reducing both the carbon intensity of our activities and the natural resources we use, through the development and operation of good business practices.
Our priorities are to:
- Improve energy efficiency and reduce energy use
- Minimise waste produced and increase the quantity recycled
- Increase the efficiency of our delivery fleet
We recognise that these key operational activities are environmentally significant for NEXT, and we are exploring every opportunity to control the environmental impacts from our operations, including greenhouse gas emissions and natural resource usage. We are a signatory to the British Retail Consortium's Climate Change Initiative, 'A Better Retailing Climate', which includes commitments to reduce energy and resource use, transport emissions, waste and packaging.
Climate change is now recognised as one of the greatest global environmental challenges society faces, and we take our responsibilities in this area very seriously. Our aim is to make our operations more efficient and work to reduce our impact through, for example, energy consumption and waste. In order to help us understand the impact of our direct business we have measured our global carbon footprint produced from the operational activities of NEXT where we have direct control. Our global direct carbon footprint, where we have operational control is 208,738 tonnes CO2e, an absolute reduction of 3% on the previous year.
Our global direct carbon footprint includes emissions from:
- Properties - stores and warehouses in the UK and Ireland, our global offices, call centres and manufacturing facilities
- Distribution - our distribution of NEXT products to Retail stores or customers' homes in the UK and Ireland
- Waste disposal - from our stores, warehouses and Head Office in the UK and Ireland
Our Challenges and Targets
- Target: Electricity consumption 35% reduction in kg CO2e /m2 by 2015
- Progress: 5% reduction compared to last year, and 26% electricity reduction achieved to date
- Target: to send less than 5% of operational waste to landfill by 2015
- Progress: 10% increase in waste diverted from landfill compared to last year, and 85% of operational waste diverted from landfill achieved to date
- Target: Retail Distribution 10% reduction in litres of fuel used / m2 by 2015
- Progress: 9% reduction compared to last year, and 8% reduction achieved to date
The full section Environment is available here.