NEXT Charity Event
The NEXT Charity Ball raised £279,233 for the Duke of Edinburgh’s Award (DofE), the world’s leading youth achievement award, giving millions of 14-24 year-olds in communities across the UK the support to develop their confidence and skills for life and work. For every £1 donated DofE are able to return £7 in time volunteered by young people in their communities, so our donation translates into young people returning £1.96m back as well as developing their work-ready skills.
Another area in which we’re pleased to report progress is in collaboration on creative ways of diverting waste from landfill while helping the community.
As part of the target to divert our waste from being sent to landfill, we have continued to identify and divert products that previously would have been disposed of via landfill, and offer them for re-use to a group of registered charities and social enterprise organisations who can create value from the products to benefit their aims.
For example we have been able to offer unsellable, damaged furniture to Doncaster Refurnish, enabling this social enterprise charity to create £456,600 to help fund its charitable work and provide:
- 82 training work placements for the long-term unemployed
- 11 special educational placements for people with learning difficulties
- Educational activities to support 14 students under 16 years old
- Access to products for educational programmes at 14 schools and community groups
- Support for 460 children through “Spirit of Christmas” where Refurnish promotes the benefits of CR
Through this collaboration, during the year NEXT has been able to divert 457 tonnes of waste from landfill for reuse by the charity. We are pleased with the continued success of our partnership.